The Museum of the Friends of Thann
The Museum of the Friends of Thann is located in the former covered wheat market (1519).
Ideally situated at the end of the marketplace, this building of pink sandstone, has two ends perforated by cart doors; this way, the carts go through the downstairs to load and unload the bag of wheat, rye, oat and barley, avoiding turning procedures.
The former covered wheat market has been partially destroyed during a bombing of 1945, converted into party hall, the building is again damaged in December 1944 during the withdrawal of the German troops.
Its restoration makes it possible to install there, from 1944, the collections of the History Society , “The Friends of Thann”.
Today it accommodates, on 3 stages, different collections. It tells the history of the town over the centuries and the wars and through the cult of St Thiebaut but also through the popular traditions. The stone room downstairs is dedicated to the 15 wood panels of the Bangards, vineyard guardians of Thann, while on the same stage, the Walch room hosts art exhibitions.